Sports bars can be a good choice if you need some energy before you play a sport. They can also help you repair your muscles after playing a sport.
However, it is not necessary to use sports bars. You can get the energy you need from food before you play a sport.
If I use sports bars, what should I look for on the label?
Read the ingredients
- Look for ingredients like whole grains, soy, casein (milk) or whey (milk) protein, dried fruit and nuts
- Try to avoid artificial sweeteners such as sucralose since you need carbohydrate (sugar) for energy
- Avoid sports bars that have trans fats. The words “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” in the ingredient list means trans fat
- Look for at least 10 grams of protein per bar
- Look for lower fat and fibre if you are eating a sports bar before playing a sport